From your initial inquiry to the day you receive the keys to your custom home, custom cottage, or newly renovated home, Profile’s people will be with you every step of the way.
People are the Process
At Profile, people are the biggest part of the process. We believe a company is only as good as its people. Joel, Mike and John, principals at Profile, have spent their careers in the industry, much of it in project management. They’ve developed exceptional working relationships with architects, designers, tradespeople and suppliers — consummate professionals whose high level of artistry, craftsmanship, commitment and pride match Profile’s.
Profile’s people make perfect partners because we’re in the same business: building you the right product.
Profile is also part of the Holmes Approved Homes Program, a select group of industry-leading builders who go above and beyond current building standards and practices to build an even better home. Your home’s insulation, foundation, structure and the entire building envelope are inspected at six stages of construction. For more information on the Holmes Approved Homes program.
In a completely transparent process, Holmes delivers regular inspection reports to you at the same time they are delivered to Profile. At Profile we have nothing to hide, this is why we encourage a third-party relationship that examines each stage of the building process with a critical eye.
Step 1: Getting To Know Profile
• Call or email Profile.
• We’ll get in touch to see where you are in the design/construction process. Talk to us about your ideas. We’ll answer any questions you have about Profile and our building process. At this point, we encourage you to view the testimonials from Profile Custom Homes’ customers on our website. And do your research!
• We’ll book a meeting which can take place either at your home or at Profile’s office.
Still looking for a lot on which to build? At this point, Profile can put you in touch with a real estate agent.
Step 2: Profile Gets To Know You
• Bring any architectural plans to this first meeting. If plans have yet to be drawn up, bring your Wish List. We can refer you to an architect or designer.
Note: Fees for architectural design are paid directly to the architect or designer, not to Profile.
• We’ll talk in depth with you about what you want to achieve.
• We’ll physically walk you through a few Profile Custom Homes. This is a fabulous opportunity for you to see our work — the quality and craftsmanship — up close! You can speak with our clients about their build, the building process, the whole ‘custom’ experience, even their feelings about Profile. The more you know about us, the more comfortable you’ll be with our process.
• After the meeting, our estimators will create a detailed estimate that itemizes every aspect of the project. This estimate typically takes 1 to 2 weeks. Clients sometimes ask us to work out three estimates at different price points. This gives you the flexibility to adjust your Wish List, up or down, in keeping with your budget.
Profile Integrity Pricing
Profile is a contract management company: This is to your benefit and not common to all builders. Our estimated costs are based on the costs given to us by our trades and suppliers. As builders, these rates are discounted. Profile passes those savings directly on to you, with no mark up.
Profile includes a management fee on the estimate. This fee is based 100% on time and written into the contract. If we estimate a project will take four months, we charge only four months of management fees. How does this benefit you? We’ve committed to a time frame, so we’re highly motivated to finish on time. As we’ve mentioned, we choose to work with only the best trades and most reliable suppliers. The building process depends on teamwork. For your sake and ours, we want the best, most reliable team on site.
Profile invoices monthly. You are invoiced only for items that Profile has been invoiced for to date.
Step 3: How Much Will My Profile Custom Home Cost?
• We’ll hold a second meeting during which you will receive a complete Scope of Work and estimate. We review this with you, line by line, to make sure you understand every item. At this point, architectural/design changes can be made.
• We’ll answer your questions. Is the estimate more, or less than you expected? If it’s more, we look at options. To save money, perhaps can we use stucco instead of natural stone on the sides or rear of the house. If your budget can accommodate a little more, you might opt for an upgrade. It’s all up for discussion at this point, since all of our homes are custom.
• After the meeting, our estimators will refine the estimate to include design and/or material changes.
Step 4: Meeting with Profile to Finalize
• At our third meeting, the architect or designer is generally present to give approval on architectural or design changes made in the previous meeting, or to incorporate any last-minute changes you might have been mulling over since that meeting.
• Once approved, Architectural and Engineering drawings incorporating HVAC and structural elements are created. These drawings are then submitted to the city for planning approval and a building permit.
Step 5: No Surprises with Profile. You Know Exactly What You’re Getting
• At our fourth meeting, you will receive the final Scope of Work, work schedule and completed estimate. This meeting is held to make sure that every change has been noted and accounted for in the estimate. At this point, you’ll know exactly what you are getting. We want you to be very comfortable with the details and the costs. There must be no surprises.
• You sign the Profile Custom Homes contract.
• Profile’s Project Managers develop a working schedule and a Site Supervisor is assigned to your project exclusively.
There are always four points of contact on site:
1. The Site Supervisor
2. The Project Manager
3. Joel Atkinson and 4. Mike Murray
There are no site shutdowns on holidays.
• Profile begins the tendering process:
This process involves negotiating with Profile’s trades and suppliers. We send drawings out for pricing. Our goal is to get you the most competitive pricing. It’s all about Value. For each area of work, we typically send out three tenders. We do not always choose the trade or supplier with the lowest price, but rather, the one we think is best suited for the particular job. Our Project Manager, Joel and Mike will work with you at this point so that you know which trade or supplier we recommend. You always have the final veto on our recommendations.
Step 6: Profile Breaks Ground
• We’re getting closer now. This is always an exciting time for clients. As builders and owners of Profile Custom Homes, Joel or Mike will be on your job site and intimately involved with scheduling, ordering, coordinating, answering your questions or addressing concerns you may have. This one-on-one attention keeps you up-to-date on even the smallest aspects of building your dream home.
• Profile’s Site Supervisor will be on site at all times during the work day. Safety is a priority on the site, as are physical conditions …
• Construction sites are busy, messy places; it’s an unavoidable part of the process. However, Profile Custom Homes takes great pride in a clean job site. As much as possible, we clean up at the end of every working day. You’re happier this way and we’re more organized and better prepared for the next day. And your neighbours won’t complain about the mess! We are as respectful as possible to the neighbourhood through the entire building process.
Step 7: Your Profile Custom Home Takes Shape
• As your dream home nears completion, rest assured that Profile will make sure nothing is overlooked. We want the day you move in to be everything you dreamed it would be.
A Profile Custom Home is better because it’s built better. It’s built for life. It’s built with pride.
Give Profile Custom Homes a call. Let’s get the dream started!